21 March 2018
Question: What is most important when selecting an e-signature platform?
Answer: Firstly, congratulations for deciding to ditch paper signatures and implementing an e-Signatures solution. Your team and customers will thank you when they experience first-hand the increased efficiency and improved customer experience as a result of a digital signing solution.
Now, it’s important to understand that e-Signatures solutions are not created equal! The biggest difference to understand is what technology they use, even if you are not a tech expert. Not all signing solutions meet the requirements set out in the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act 2000(“ESIGN”), which made signed electronic contracts and documents as legally binding as a paper-based contract. For more information on this check our legal page.
We’ve listed our 5 must have features you should have when selecting an online signing platform
- Solution that uses Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) Standard for signing. – This digital signature technology provides unique signing keys for each signatory. The user based digital signatures solution seals and protects your electronic document with the first signature. X509 Standard also allows for independent vendor solution for self-verification of signatures at your work station. You are not reliant on a single signing platform to validate signatures. This means you are not locked into one provider forever.
- Date and Time Stamp – ensure your eSignature platform includes a date and time stamp for each signature. This is an important requirement used to evidence when the signing took place exactly
- Audit log – look for a detailed audit trail of the signing process and one that is sent to all parties involved as soon as the document has been signed. The registered information gives a precise reference to verify activities and time frames related to the signing of documents and sensitive data. An audit trail report can be used as a proof for review purposes, and in case of a dispute.
- Tracks changes – don’t be exposed, ensure the Digital Signature solution automatically detects any changes made to the document after signing and immediately invalidates the signatures. It should also promptly notify all parties involved.
- Video Confirmation – Video Confirmation provides the highest confidence in the identity of the signer as it provides unchallengeable proof of who signed the document. The video recording captures the signer performing gesture specific to the document which is recorded in the audit log. The location and password for the confirmation video are contained in the signed document.
For more important features, check out our website www.securedsigning.com .
Till next time,